Presenting organization: Ch’nook Indigenous Education
Ch’nook’s mission is to promote business, management and entrepreneurship as viable career opportunities for Aboriginal students in order to contribute to creating a sustainable and self-sufficient economic future for First Nation communities in British Columbia and across Canada. www.chnook.org
Session length: 1.5 hours
This workshop is designed for managers looking to learn more about investments and financial markets. The workshop will take look at the global economic backdrop, the current investment environment and how it all affects investment decisions. One challenge facing all investors, ranging from individuals looking to retire to corporations putting together their capital budgets, is the low interest rate environment we find ourselves in. Traditional fixed income investments including GIC’s and savings accounts are currently offering very low returns. This session will examine what other investment options are available to help meet your community’s goals.
What Participants will learn by attending
- Gain an understanding of the current economic environment and how it affects investment decisions.
- Explain the basic fundamentals of investing and what alternatives are available in financial markets to help meet your goals.
- Begin to assess the risks associated with different investment options and how they fit into an overall portfolio.
- Examine different investment portfolios and have a general sense for how much income and growth they can be expected to generate going forward.
Daren Atkinson, CFA
- Portfolio Manager, Leith Wheeler Investment Counsel Ltd.
Daren joined Leith Wheeler in December 2001 from the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. Daren graduated from Simon Fraser University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance. He has responsibility for managing Institutional clients including First Nations, Pension, Corporate and Health & Welfare portfolios. Daren holds a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and is a Past President of CFA Vancouver.
Michael Job, CFA
- Portfolio Manager. Leith Wheeler Investment Counsel Ltd.
Michael joined Leith Wheeler in September 2007 after graduating from Dalhousie University with a Bachelor of Commerce degree. While at Dalhousie, Michael majored in finance and completed co-op placements in equity research and investment banking at a major Canadian bank. At Leith Wheeler, Michael is responsible for managing both private client and institutional accounts. Michael is a member of CFA Vancouver and holds a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.